The National Mental Health Workforce Development Collaborative is a voluntary group of mental health Trusts that have come together to focus on strategic mental health workforce development issues.
The Collaborative has been in existence for more than three years, since 2016, and there are seven founding Trusts, namely:
- Avon and Wiltshire Partnership Trust
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
Reasons for collaboration
The Collaborative was designed in December 2016 and signed off by the seven Trusts in April 2017. The Trust have agreed that there are a number of factors which make collaboration in the area of mental health training and workforce transformation attractive at this time:
- All providers face major challenges in sustaining and developing their workforce at a time of major financial pressure.
- To support the implementation of the Five Year Forward View for Mental Health and the subsequent NHS Long Term Plan which creates requirements for the major expansion and development of the mental health workforce.
- To meet the need to raise the profile and voice of mental health education and training and workforce issues at a time when the agenda can be dominated by issues of acute providers, hence supporting the parity of esteem between MH and Physical Health providers
- There is an ongoing need to facilitate the transfer of consistent best practice between providers
- To support the delivery of high-quality standards of education, training and workforce development, with appropriate evaluation approaches
These trusts form a steering group of the Collaborative. They invited all MH trusts in the country to join the Collaborative. The Trusts found the Collaborative as an important way of sharing intelligence and good practice on strategic mental health workforce issues. The Collaborative has also provided a helpful means of engaging with Health Education England and other national bodies e.g. Mental Health Nursing, NHS Employers, regulators, particularly CQC.
Mental Health Workshops schedule 2020
It was agreed that the Collaborative mental health workshop would be organised on a quarterly basis for strategic leaders. The Collaborative workshop sessions are open to all NHS Trusts in England, that provide MH services. However, the workshop attendees will be limited to 50 spaces, taking into consideration the administration arrangements and costs. The future forums will be connecting with other relevant groups and national bodies e.g. Mental Health Nursing, NHS Employers, regulators, particularly CQC. The meetings would be held in rotation at three venues one in each of London, Birmingham and Manchester. The schedule of the Collaborative meetings is:
5 March 2020 – 30 Euston Square, London NW1 2FB
14 May 2020 – The Studio, 7 Cannon Street, Birmingham, B2 5EP
15 September 2020 – Tavistock and Portman NHS FT, 120 Belsize Lane, London NW3 5BS
19 November 2020 – Malmaison Hotel, 1-3 Piccadilly, Manchester M1 3AQ